University of Alabama School of Medicine Rural Medical Programs
Applicant's Resource Site
Rural Medical Programs: Rural Medical Scholars Program (RMSP) and Rural Medicine Program (RMP)
PURPOSE: Applicants to these programs are committing to become primary care physicians and to practice in communities and small towns in Alabama.
There are two Rural Medical Programs:
- The Rural Medical Scholars Program (RMSP) is based in Tuscaloosa and conducted by College of Community Health Science, a branch of the University of Alabama School of Medicine
- Rural Medicine Program (RMP) is a jointly sponsored program between the University of Alabama School of Medicine (UASOM) and Auburn University s College of Sciences and Mathematics (COSAM)
- Each Rural Program is a five year program with a pre-matriculation year spent on the undergraduate campus of the Program
For applicants applying to enter the School of Medicine in 2015, the application deadline for both programs
is March 18, 2014.
Accepted individuals will begin the pre-matriculation year in the summer of 2014
Applicants must complete two applications:
- Our Special Programs Application for Rural Medical Programs.
- The standard AMCAS application Program Type: Other Special Program for 2015 (if accepted)
- The deadline for submitting the AMCAS application is July 15th prior to beginning the pre-matriculation year
Interviews are conducted one day each year for each Rural Medical Program.
Interviews for the 2015 entering class will be
held May 2014.
All applicants are notified of their admission status shortly after the interviews
- Rural Medical Scholars Program (RMSP) interviews conducted in Tuscaloosa: May 30, 2013
- Rural Medicine Program (RMP) conducted in Huntsville: May 23, 2013
In order to Matriculate, Rural Medical Program applicants must, among other things:
- If applicable, any applicant that submits an application to a Rural Medical programs acknowledges and accepts that, if offered acceptance to a UASOM Rural Medical Program, they will be withdrawn from the Regular MD Program Alternate List of the University of Alabama School of Medicine (UASOM).
- Successfully complete the pre-matriculation coursework
- Meet any and all contingencies required for admission
- Meet all other requirements for Regular admission to the School of Medicine
For additional items required in order to matriculate, please refer to page 17 of the Guidelines to the Admission Process located at Guidelines .
Rural Medical Programs Admission Eligibility Requirements:
Instructions for Applying to Rural Medicine Programs
Go to www.uab.edu/medicine/specialapplication to complete a Special Programs Application to one or both of our Rural Medical Programs.
- Only one application is needed to apply to either program or both.
- Applicants should strongly consider applying to both programs.
- Follow the instructions included in the online application.
- Completing the Special Programs Application will require you to provide the following:
- An OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT from all colleges and universities that you have attended
- A non-refundable $80 application fee to be paid online or by mailing a check or money order to the address below
- A digital photograph (.JPG) uploaded to our website
- Three Letters of Reference using the form available for download in our Special Programs Application is required
- In addition it is strongly recommended that you submit a letter from the pre-health professional committee at your undergraduate school if available
Send your letters of recommendation, transcripts and application fee to the address below by March 18, 2014:
Medical Student Services/Admissions
VH-100, 1720 Second Avenue South
Birmingham, AL 35294-0019
Ph. (205) 934-2433, FAX (205) 934-8740
- By applying and submitting an application to a Rural Medical Program, the applicant acknowledges that:
- I commit to become a primary care physician and enter practice either in a rural community or in a small town in Alabama.
- If applicable, if offered acceptance to a UASOM Rural Medical Program, I will be withdrawn from the Regular MD Program Alternate List of the University of Alabama School of Medicine (UASOM).
- After submitting your online application, you may return to the Special Programs Application webpage to check which documents have been received by our office, pay your application fee online, upload your photo or download the Letters of Reference form.
- If accepted, after June 1 you must complete a second application by going to the AMCAS website http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/start.htm. This application is required of all applicants applying to US medical schools.